The city of Bar has seen a lot of battles, collusions, and political events in it’s history.
The unusual name of the city comes from Bari, Italian town where Bona Sforza, who was a polish queen, was born. She came to the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1553 and chose the city of Riv as her residence. She ordered to build a castle and called it Bari. Soon, the whole city was named Bari but due to the polish style of pronunciation, it was renamed into Bar.
This castle that still beautifies the city, was preserved in a form of ancient fortifications. Unfortunately, most of the buildings haven’t survived. In 1634 it was destroyed by Tatars and Turks’ attack, which was successfully repulsed. Then the city was chosen as Stanislav Koncepolski, who was a polish hetman, rate. He ordered to turn the castle into an impregnable bastion with 6 meters shafts. Though, during the Khmelnytsky uprising, the castle was again destroyed by colonel Maksym Kryvonosenkoi’s army in 1648.
Soon, the city got back into the authority of Poland and the castle was renewed. In 1672 Turks successfully seized the city and the castle was in their hands. In 1768 the castle became the center of power of the Confederates, the Polish magnates who declared war on the king. Before long, the fortification was wiped off from the ground by the Russian army, who came to help Poland suppress the uprising.
The agreement about the creation of the confederation was signed under the church of st. Anna, that was founded in 1556. Unfortunately, wood building was burned during the invasion of Bar. Though, in the 19th century it was renewed. Today it attracts pilgrims from all catholic world.
The Pokrovsky monastery founded as a shelter for the Carmelites. Later, the Jesuit school was placed there and then an orthodox monastery. Currently, he has again changed masters, who are the sisters of the mission of St. Benedict.
Translated by: Anna Sosliuk
JoomShopping Download & Support