Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv

12525

Coordinates: 49.8394563, 24.0348136
Type of place: Architecture, Religious
Entrance: Free
Parking: Not equipped
Accessibility for people with disabilities: Yes
Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv Church and Monastery of Bernardines, Lviv
Bernardine Monastery is a 15th century architectural monument that has preserved the features of the era and absorbed the history and mysteries of the past. Every visitor of the city wants to see this monument of Lviv. The first mention of the monastery dates back to 1460, when a small wooden church was located on this site. Later, the construction of the whole complex with its own fortification system began here. A powerful bastion of Bernardines appeared on the city rampart between the Royal Bastion and the Galician Gate. It was a fortified monastery, surrounded by a shaft and a moat. In the 17th-18th centuries, wooden buildings were replaced with stone ones.
 
The History
In 1630 on the territory of the complex was a church of St. Andrew and the Cell Building. Strong stone walls were built around the monastery, loopholes were installed, a tower from the Glininsky Gate was built. The defense system of the complex was able to withstand more than one cruel siege.
 
The architect of the lower part of the church basilica is an Italian Pavlo Roman. After his death, in 1618, the Swiss architect Amvrosi Pryhilny undertook the case. The idea of ​​his predecessor seemed to him too modest. As a result, a new construction plan was born. Ambrose is the author of a complex shield-pediment of a bizarre shape. Today, this part is considered the main value of the monastery's architecture. The third tier is the work of Wroclaw architect Andreas Bemen. In addition, some historians suggest he is the author of the 38-meter tower of the church, where the clock with a bell is set in 1753. The first worship took place on December 13, 1611, on St. Andrew's Day. Hence the second name of the monastery - the church of Andrew.
 
Modern view of the historical and architectural monument of Ukraine
Only the Glynyansk tower (dating from 1618) and the eastern part of the fortifications have survived as the defensive structures. The church basilica is an example of the Italian Renaissance. The building is made of hewn stone in the form of a three-nave basilica. The height of the monastery is 22 m, its length is about 58 m. The facade of the temple is decorated with sculptures of the Saints of the Order of Bernardine. In the niches of the second floor are statues of the Mother of God, the apostles Peter and Paul. The facade is completed by a sophisticated Baroque tower.
 
Inside the temple you can see rich paintings (late 18th c.), Wooden altars (17th c.), Marble floor (18 c.). Metal doors of the monastery - the work of the master of the 17th century.
 
Translated by: Volunteers of ULA Kyiv
Write a comment for this product!
Name
E-mail
Please write comment
Rating for product
Captcha *
Interesting places of this region (3)
Copyright MAXXmarketing GmbH
JoomShopping Download & Support