Gorodetsky House, Kyiv

534

Coordinates: 50.4450572, 30.5286348
Type of place: Architecture
Parking: Absent
Accessibility for people with disabilities: Yes
Gorodetsky House, Kyiv Gorodetsky House, Kyiv Gorodetsky House, Kyiv Gorodetsky House, Kyiv
House of Chimeras - a building that was created in the XX century and decorated with sculptures in the theme of fauna and underwater. Business card of the talented architect Vladislav Gorodetsky. The House with Chimeras got its name thanks to its architectural decoration.

Architecture, decoration and interior beauty
The house itself was designed in the shape of a cube. It is also interesting that on the side of Ivan Franko Square it has 6, and on the side of the Bankova street - three floors. The house was equipped with seven electrified apartments: several two- and three-room apartments on the ground floor, eight-room apartments on the third and sixth floors, six-room apartments on the second floor, nine-room apartments on the fifth floor and ten-room apartments on the fourth floor. Also at the disposal of the inhabitants was everything that satisfied all their whims: wine cellars, two stables, a refrigerator-glacier, laundry and a cowshed.

The facade and walls are decorated with dozens of Art Nouveau sculptures. Crocodiles, rhinos, deer, antelopes, elephants, snakes, chubby carp and much more. However, this is not the end, if you look closely, you can see a panther attacking an eagle. The eagle, in turn, is a bit like a dragon. All sculptural decorations based on personal sketches by Vladislav Gorodetsky were made by his good friend, the Milan sculptor, Elio Salia. The heads of crocodiles, antelopes and elephants are built into the walls, and the last of them are also gutters. A python hid in the corner of the building and sea monsters and a nereid proudly stood on the roof.

The interior decoration is a direct reflection of the appearance of the house. The sculptor's brother, Eugenio Salia, was the interior artist. He is the author of the stunning beauty inside. Along the stairs - a panel, and the main lobby in the form of the seabed. At present, the hall is a pearl of interior decoration: a giant octopus covered with mother-of-pearl shells is a crazy spectacle. A sculptural composition of two huge intertwined fish with built-in lampshades with light bulbs is located in the center of the stairs. Garlands of game, rifles, deer antlers and hunting trophies, daggers and flasks, along with the image of Diana-thinker express the admiration of the owner, who decorate the walls. The ceiling is decorated with stucco with pineapples. After the restoration, the interior was color-coded. Also after that the main stairs are decorated with frescoes with gazelles. The lobby has a plafond in the form of a starfish. Ornate chimeras watch the visitors from above from the ceiling. All rooms are decorated with paintings on the walls, various trophies and sculptures, fireplaces of the famous German company Mason. Visitors imagined themselves as on the seabed, when they entered the main lobby. The most luxuriously decorated was the architect's apartment.

Architect
Leshko Desideriy Vladyslav Vladyslavovych - Ukrainian and Polish architect, businessman, philanthropist. Father not only of the house with chimeras, but also of the Cathedral of St. Nicholas. During his life he was called Gaudi of Kyiv.

History
Vladislav Gorodetsky bought a plot of land on the street. Bankova, 10 almost for nothing, because it was considered unsuitable for construction due to a very steep slope. He was able to make good use of land and cope with difficult land conditions. In order to strengthen the foundation of the future building, about 50 concrete piles (designed by engineer Anton Strauss) were driven to a depth of 5 meters and concrete "pillows" were placed on top.

Concrete (mainly) was chosen as the basis for construction. It is known that the architect spent about 65 thousand rubles for the construction. All major work was completed between 1901 and 1903, except for the decoration of the grand staircase. The apartments in the new house, which became extremely popular, were of the highest category. Despite the fact that the rent was quite high, there were many who wanted to settle here. For example, the resident was Vsevolod Golubovych, the Prime Minister of the Ukrainian People’s Republic in 1917-18. Unfortunately, after some time Gorodetsky was forced to pledge the house. He thought it was only for a while, but as it turned out - no. In 1911 he went hunting in Africa and found himself in a difficult financial situation. As early as 1913, the famous house with chimeras was owned by the Beet Sugar Plant Society, headed by engineer Daniil Balakhovsky.
 
During the Soviet era, the building was nationalized. For some time there was a headquarters for the military labor squad, and then occupied by the Veterinary Department of the military district, and since 1948 - the departmental clinic №1. By the way, the clinic existed until the 2000s. By this time, Gorodetsky's masterpiece had lost much of its appeal. The house was restored only after a crack 40 cm wide appeared across the entire house at the intersection of the foundations. Restoration of the legendary work of art lasted two years (2002-2004). After major repairs, the third, fourth and fifth floors were converted into a space for events with the participation of the President of Ukraine, and the offices of the Ceremony of the Presidential Secretariat were located on the first and second floors.

Now everyone has the opportunity to see with their own eyes the works of Vladislav Gorodetsky, but you must pre-book a tour.
 
Translated by: Anhelina Leshak
House of Chimeras - a building that was created in the XX century and decorated with sculptures in the theme of fauna and underwater. Business card of the talented architect Vladislav Gorodetsky. The House with Chimeras got its name thanks to its architectural decoration.

Architecture, decoration and interior beauty
The house itself was designed in the shape of a cube. It is also interesting that on the side of Ivan Franko Square it has 6, and on the side of the Bankova street - three floors. The house was equipped with seven electrified apartments: several two- and three-room apartments on the ground floor, eight-room apartments on the third and sixth floors, six-room apartments on the second floor, nine-room apartments on the fifth floor and ten-room apartments on the fourth floor. Also at the disposal of the inhabitants was everything that satisfied all their whims: wine cellars, two stables, a refrigerator-glacier, laundry and a cowshed.

The facade and walls are decorated with dozens of Art Nouveau sculptures. Crocodiles, rhinos, deer, antelopes, elephants, snakes, chubby carp and much more. However, this is not the end, if you look closely, you can see a panther attacking an eagle. The eagle, in turn, is a bit like a dragon. All sculptural decorations based on personal sketches by Vladislav Gorodetsky were made by his good friend, the Milan sculptor, Elio Salia. The heads of crocodiles, antelopes and elephants are built into the walls, and the last of them are also gutters. A python hid in the corner of the building and sea monsters and a nereid proudly stood on the roof.

The interior decoration is a direct reflection of the appearance of the house. The sculptor's brother, Eugenio Salia, was the interior artist. He is the author of the stunning beauty inside. Along the stairs - a panel, and the main lobby in the form of the seabed. At present, the hall is a pearl of interior decoration: a giant octopus covered with mother-of-pearl shells is a crazy spectacle. A sculptural composition of two huge intertwined fish with built-in lampshades with light bulbs is located in the center of the stairs. Garlands of game, rifles, deer antlers and hunting trophies, daggers and flasks, along with the image of Diana-thinker express the admiration of the owner, who decorate the walls. The ceiling is decorated with stucco with pineapples. After the restoration, the interior was color-coded. Also after that the main stairs are decorated with frescoes with gazelles. The lobby has a plafond in the form of a starfish. Ornate chimeras watch the visitors from above from the ceiling. All rooms are decorated with paintings on the walls, various trophies and sculptures, fireplaces of the famous German company Mason. Visitors imagined themselves as on the seabed, when they entered the main lobby. The most luxuriously decorated was the architect's apartment.

Architect
Leshko Desideriy Vladyslav Vladyslavovych - Ukrainian and Polish architect, businessman, philanthropist. Father not only of the house with chimeras, but also of the Cathedral of St. Nicholas. During his life he was called Gaudi of Kyiv.

History
Vladislav Gorodetsky bought a plot of land on the street. Bankova, 10 almost for nothing, because it was considered unsuitable for construction due to a very steep slope. He was able to make good use of land and cope with difficult land conditions. In order to strengthen the foundation of the future building, about 50 concrete piles (designed by engineer Anton Strauss) were driven to a depth of 5 meters and concrete "pillows" were placed on top.

Concrete (mainly) was chosen as the basis for construction. It is known that the architect spent about 65 thousand rubles for the construction. All major work was completed between 1901 and 1903, except for the decoration of the grand staircase. The apartments in the new house, which became extremely popular, were of the highest category. Despite the fact that the rent was quite high, there were many who wanted to settle here. For example, the resident was Vsevolod Golubovych, the Prime Minister of the Ukrainian People’s Republic in 1917-18.
Unfortunately, after some time Gorodetsky was forced to pledge the house. He thought it was only for a while, but as it turned out - no. In 1911 he went hunting in Africa and found himself in a difficult financial situation. As early as 1913, the famous house with chimeras was owned by the Beet Sugar Plant Society, headed by engineer Daniil Balakhovsky.
During the Soviet era, the building was nationalized. For some time there was a headquarters for the military labor squad, and then occupied by the Veterinary Department of the military district, and since 1948 - the departmental clinic №1. By the way, the clinic existed until the 2000s. By this time, Gorodetsky's masterpiece had lost much of its appeal.
The house was restored only after a crack 40 cm wide appeared across the entire house at the intersection of the foundations. Restoration of the legendary work of art lasted two years (2002-2004). After major repairs, the third, fourth and fifth floors were converted into a space for events with the participation of the President of Ukraine, and the offices of the Ceremony of the Presidential Secretariat were located on the first and second floors.

Now everyone has the opportunity to see with their own eyes the works of Vladislav Gorodetsky, but you must pre-book a tour.
Write a comment for this product!
Name
E-mail
Please write comment
Rating for product
Interesting places of this region (0)
Copyright MAXXmarketing GmbH
JoomShopping Download & Support